Monday, January 17, 2011

Motivating yourself!

I miss Jamaica :(

Today I went into the gym thinking, I only have to do 25 minutes of running today according to my training plan, but last time I was only suppose to do 25 minutes I did 30 and I was ok.  So I was going to see what my run was like and see if I could make it to 30 minutes, but I was going to be happy with 25 minutes.  So I got started, and as I'm watching the timer on the treadmill roll over 15 minutes I thought to myself, you're half way there you can do this.  A few moments later I realized that I didn't account for the 5 minute warm up walk I did and that I was actually 20 minutes away from the goal!  That really messed with my head.  All of a sudden those next 10 minutes were the hardest of my life.  When I had finally been running for 20 minutes I knew I would make it to 25 minutes, but still wasn't sure about the 30 minute goal.  Then as 25 hit I started really talking myself up.  "You've got this, you did it last time you can do it again."  "You took that 30 minute goal and kicked it's ass!" "You are going to feel better and look better if you do 30 minutes instead of quitting now."  That did it for me, I just kept repeating those mantras to myself and I was able to run the full 30 minutes.  I did just over 2.5 miles in 30 minutes and walked for another 10 minutes finishing at 3.3 miles.  (5 min warm up, 30 min run, 10 min cool down)

So I'm curious does anyone else have any mantras that they tell themselves to get through the toughest part of your workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment